Beiträge von gryzor

Bummer. There you have it. So I don't share the backups or I share and change the pwds afterwards.

Not a big deal, noone is really interested in actually *having* the backup. The thing is that there is a fear that something might go wrong and the wiki vanishes from online. In that case, we won't mind about the pwds in the backups...

Well, it depends; if we're talking about a 'fact', say, like a meeting, or a group, or a demo or whatever, then an article can be made. If we only want to comment instead of describing the fact, then the discussion page is where it should go....

What??! I missed that!

That makes no sense. There's NO stuff which is for EVERYBODY. As we said in the beginning, this is a wiki for *everything* CPC related, and the scene, past and present, is of course VERY relevant!

No, please do go ahead and write whatever you want...

Zitat von "Kangaroo MusiQue"

hmm.. maybe there is a plugin to make a database dump for download and a picture-base dump for the links... or something..
    as you have enough space on the server, you might be able to do this without running in problems with traffic or so.. much better to charge the users "online" instead of sending DVDs around :D

phpmyadmin does that, I think? The cPanel interface also allows a db dump - but now that I think of it I think it uses phpmyadmin!

There's also %mediawiki%/maintenance/dumpBackup.php , but this creates an xml file I don't quite know what to do with - it certainly takes a lot of effort to restore!

I guess what you mean is something that will not only dump the db, but also parse its links to images and get them all together. But I think there's also a simpler solution - just copy the file structure? I take occasional back-ups like that - just FTP everything (except for the magazines dirs) to my machine!

Now, your idea about the online mag access.... ahhhh that's a great one really! I'll add the option!!! I'll probably be creating ftp users for those that choose the online option...

Cheers
    Gryzor

Zitat von "Villain"

I would prefer to keep the whole stuff in english. On one hand I think for example that there will be almost nobody who translates something into german on the other hand the problem might be that new content is added in french and will never be translated. I´m almost sure that both things will really happen...

...and those were the reasons we had decided against multiple languages in the first place. But we have to take into consideration the fact that, sooner or later, english material (or motivation for english material) is going to run out. Already, the adding of content has slowed down, and it's only natural!

So, I'm not really looking for translations, because I know it'd be very difficult for people to do, although it'd be the best. So I'm looking for original content in other languages. What's more, I know that much of what will be added in, say, french, will not be translated in english; but it'll be much better if we have it in french than not at all!

In short: let
    x be the propensity of people translating and/or contributing new articles in english
    y be the propensity of people contributing articles in their native languages

if x<y then you gotta go with y... no?

Cheers
    Gryzor

Zitat von &quot;Kangaroo MusiQue&quot;

is there a "translation" plugin, where a user can translate the actual article into an other language or will there be two articles with different content, as on wikipedia? if last will be, maybe its better to reinstall a wiki under a localized domain (i can help, as you might know) so with an .es .fr .de .whatever to jump directly on the wanted language (and leave the .com for the tommies) :)

but you must think about seperate admins for the single languages, cause its much easier for a german to manage the german area and for a spain to do the "spanish fly thingie"... instead of having admins not writing/reading/speaking in mothertounge.

To tell you the truth I didn't have the time to look into translation options, but I will - quite high on my 'to-do' list.

But I wasn't really thinking about actually translating articles, merely adding new ones in other languages, because I don't really know if anyone would go into the trouble of translating... So it'll probably be different content.

The different domains is a really cool idea, but I don't know if it'd make any sense separating the languages thus. One thing I can think of: if you go, say, to cpcwiki.es, then it'll point to the same site (com) but with a spanish UI. I don't know how to make this work though, Mediawiki is not that flexible...

And, indeed, we'll need admins for the different languages. Goes without saying! :)

Cheers
    Gryzor

Well, if I understand the german correctly (and, forgive me, my german goes only that far, so I'm replying in english!).

Almost every wiki works on two levels: one database and a front-end. In our case the front-end is provided by Mediawiki, the same software that serves Wikipedia and many, many others.

Now, the vital part is the database. This contains all the articles, history, users etc. No problem is duplicating that. There's also the directories with the images which the database points to, and these can be backed-up as well.

In our case, there's also a third component, the off-line (that means, out-of-database) folders containing the magazine scans. These are essentially treated by the wiki as external links.

Now, if anyone is interested, I could send them a back-up on DVD, plus a couple more discs containing the magazines, all for postage and disc costs (I'd say less than 5 euros?). But, in order to access the wiki database, you'll have to set up the mediawiki software on a server somewhere - even on your local pc - as well as the database software. If you're on Linux, it should be a joy. On Windows, I think it'd require a bit of looking around...

Cheers
    Gryzor

Well, that was the reason I did not initially want to consider more languages.

However, I think that:

a.there has been enough material (almost 2k articles! Of course many of them stubs, but still that's a hell of a lot!), so that I don't know if any more material will be coming in in english...

b.indeed, the cpc scene is not that big, and it is truncuted. But it's precisely because of that I'm considering opening it up - to invite people that wouldn't otherwise come to the Wiki and contribute. Better to have contributions in non-english languages than not to have any more contributions at all, surely?

Especially given how strong the spanish, french and german communities and fora are... If there's no way to unite them all, which would be the best, under a single community, then why not try and serve them all?

Cheers
    Gryzor

PS Of course we'll have to see how it would be organised...

Hello fello CPC fans!

Apologies for this post being in english, but even this fact is relevant :)

Maybe some of you know me as the owner of <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cpcwiki.com">http://www.cpcwiki.com</a><!-- w -->, the wiki encyclopaedia about the Amstrad CPC series.

Given that during the past year and a half that the project is alive we have managed to accumulate a big enough amount of information on all things concerning the CPC range, I was thinking that maybe now is the time to open the wiki to languages other than English.

Up to now, only articles in english were allowed so as for the wiki to be accessible by the most people possible. Don't get me wrong - I'm Greek myself so I'm all for local languages, but you know how it is with english... While I still believe that english is the best choice in order to cover as many visitors as possible, I think that, from the moment that we have ammassed so much information it's about time we moved on and encouraged contribution in other languages too, in order to bring the wiki one step up

If you think there's any interest in this option, please do comment, and I'll see to it...

Cheers
    Gryzor